Monday, May 14, 2012

Spa Day


In honor of my dear friend, Jan’s, birthday, I treated both of us to a "spa day" this weekend. Swathed in sheets of thick cotton, Jan and I settled in for a day of pampering at an elegant holistic health spa belonging to the sister of a mutual friend.
The proprietor of Shala’s Holistic Wellness center in Cockeysville, Maryland (410-683-1515), Shala Kamoee Barfar, who was originally trained as a physical therapist in Germany, gave each of us an hour-long, deeply satisfying, full-body massage. Then, between sips of pinot grigio and delectable bites of cheese and strawberries, we were treated to luxurious facials by Shala’s sister, Shabnam, who steamed our pores clean, applied exquisite exfoliating masques, slathered us in dreamy moisturizers and then applied our makeup with an expert hand.


Talk about being spoiled! The aromatherapy alone was worth the price of admission – the scent of each cream more ethereal than the last. Indeed, our entire experience at Shahla’s salon was top-notch from beginning to end. I highly recommend Shala’s for a transformationally soothing encounter with your peaceful self.
Once Jan and I were thoroughly relaxed from our massages, with supple skin and fabulous makeup, we repaired to our respective homes to dress for the evening. Coming together again a few hours later at the hot new downtown restaurant "Wit And Wisdom", inside the Four Seasons Hotel in the Harbour East section of Baltimore, we were joined by six friends for a dinner celebration of three birthdays in our group.
For the occasion, I donned a beige Karen Scott camisole and Calvin Klein slacks from Macy’s as a foil for a taupe and cream "duster" with intricately embroidered cutwork and scallop-edged trim by Marcia & Me & Co. that I purchased decades ago when I lived in Dallas, Texas. At the time, the head of my department at the Dallas law firm by which I am still employed was a stylish woman who made these tea-length dusters her signature wardrobe statement. I was in awe of the elegance these garments imparted to their wearer and how chic they looked on her. I was determined to find one for myself. And I did. So, in honor of my one-time supervisor, now long since retired, I call this frock my "Patty Fielder duster". I wore the graceful, flowing cloth Saturday night with twisted freshwater pearls from the Winterthur mansion gift shop in Delaware and cream and tan spectator pumps by Aldo.
The meal at Wit & Wisdom was superb. Jan and I, our dewy complexions all aglow, basked in the warmth of loving friends gathered together to celebrate the passage of another year of living on this amazing planet. The evening, indeed, the entire day, was a wonderful, restful, rejuvenating reaffirmation of how lucky we are to have such love, friendship, and yes, blissful pampering, in our lives.
Cheers,
Lynell

No comments:

Post a Comment