Sunday, December 11, 2011

12/10/11 -- Santa's Lap


 ‘Tis the season for merriment and holiday music, and what better way to combine both than to attend Baltimore Symphony Orchestra’s annual Holiday Spectacular, which this year featured the amazing Russian Cirque de la Symphonie performers instead of the usual dancing Santas and fireside vignettes. I had seen the Cirque de la Symphonie acrobats once before at a BSO performance, and this presentation was practically a duplicate, so the choreography was a bit disappointing in that respect. But the gymnasts themselves were amazing to watch, gyrating through the air, soaring over the audience on ropes and silks, and juggling everything from rings and bowling pins to giant cubes, this time in perfect synchronization with wonderful holiday music from the orchestra, led by guest conductor Bob Bernhardt. I was not disappointed. The strong men, Jerek and Derek, were a crowd favorite, and being somewhat more fit and limber now from all the yoga, Pilates, Tai Chi and weightlifting I’ve been doing for the past year, I could appreciate the kind of strength, balance and skill required to accomplish the feats of these amazing funambulists more than ever before.

To ensure a festive mood throughout the evening’s revelry, I chose black leggings with double rows of black beading up the sides of the legs which were a gift from my best friend Kari, and a Christmassy knit tunic with glittering poinsettias embroidered on the front and wonderful gold bead detailing around the shawl collar by Themeworks for Kikit, which I bought at Macy’s several years ago. I finished the look with black patent platform pumps by Call It Spring for JCPenney.com. For jewelry I chose some gold metal jingle-bell earrings tied with fun little red bows, a rhinestone cocktail ring from BCBG that I picked up in Dallas earlier this year, my favorite goldtone bracelet-watch with rhinestones from Chico’s, and a black and gold Dea Dread hair accessory custom made for me by Thea Osato of Baltimore (http://deadreads.etsy.com/).
The elves must have been keeping the workshop humming on schedule without their boss, because Santa apparently had time to hold court in the lobby of the symphony hall after the performance, so I didn’t waste an opportunity to sit on the big guy’s lap to tell him what I want for Christmas. From the look on his face in this photo, I may just get what I asked for!
Cheers,
Lynell

No comments:

Post a Comment