Friday, December 9, 2011

Meriting A Celebration


As luck would have it, I weighed in at 116.8 pounds on the morning of December 8th, the perfect weight for my favorite red dancing dress, an appropriate choice for the annual holiday bash that evening hosted by my gym, Merritt Athletic Club, and featuring a live band playing funky dance tunes. The party was not actually held at my local club in the 'burbs, but at the downtown Baltimore headquarters, a sprawling gymnasium with a pool and basketball courts, a health restaurant and lots of floor space on several levels.

This Christmas party was huge, with close to a thousand guests and vendors from all over Maryland offering their best samples of food and beverage. People were dressed up, too, in suits and ties and gorgeous cocktail dresses. I was a little intimidated about going alone, but I mustered up the courage and went anyway, buoyed by the hotness of my own little cocktail dress.

Ah, the dress. A David Benjamin from the 1970s that I discovered in the back of my closet after I’d lost 70 pounds earlier this year. Bright red and quite short, with an unusual off-center self tie at the waist for interest. How could anyone be shy wearing such a thing? I paired it with sky-high nude platform heels by Call It Spring for JCPenney, a goldtone and rhinestone bracelet watch from Chico's, and my favorite garnet and citrine jewelry from Fire & Ice Jewelers of Baltimore(http://wwwfireandice.com). I wore my hair big and wild, tamed only by a gold headband and my favorite Dea Dread by Thea Osato (http://DeaDreads.etsy.com). I admit I strolled among the throngs at the party feeling like a million dollars.

Me with Stacey Phelps, manager of the Downtown Athletic Club
It was my pleasure to meet Stacey Phelps while I was there, manager of Baltimore’s Downtown Athletic Club (pictured with me above). Her mother, Pat Fleischer, is manager of my local facility. I also got to meet Donyel Cerceo, marketing director for the Merritt Athletic Club, with whom I have been dealing via email in the ads I have done for Merritt, as well as the article coming out next week in Club Solutions magazine. They said I looked fabulous. What a great self-esteem booster -- that little red dress!
Cheers,
Lynell

1 comment: