Thursday, April 11, 2013

Femininely Floral

Today was sweet all the way around. The unseasonably warm, 90-degree temperature yesterday which broke a record for the Mid-Atlantic region set back in 1922 abated, leaving my area with a much milder, 78 degree day today, still too warm for mid-April but a lot closer to ideal. With forsythia, wild cherry, flowering quince and daffodils blooming like mad along the roads I travel on my commute to Washington D.C. from Baltimore County, I was definitely in the mood to break out something pretty to wear, something über feminine and floral.

The clear answer was in this gossamer piece by Starina, a vintage beauty I bought at JCPenney in the 1970s when I worked for the retailer while attending college in Northern California. Featuring a sweetheart neckline and fluttery cap sleeves, the dress channeled my most girly self as I slipped it on. With dainty pink roses and creamy yellow flowers splashed across a deep navy background, the fabric was sheer enough that I needed to wear a full slip underneath. Does anyone ever wear slips anymore? This one, also navy, belonged to my mother eons ago.


A silver Pandora bracelet full of charms, gifts from my friend,
Trina, and her mother, feature horses, flowers, cats,
a snowflake and a garden hat, all my favorite things!
Strappy blue City Streets sandals with cork heels worked nicely with my outfit, as did my grandmother’s sapphire glass and rhinestone choker necklace, an heirloom I have treasured for more than fifty years. I added a Pandora bracelet filled with wonderful charms, a watch in silvery metal filigree from a tiny shop inside Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and gorgeous sapphire and diamond earrings from Zales that were a birthday gift to me several years ago from my best friend, Kari (sapphire is my birthstone).

A wide-brimmed hat on which I’d pinned a white paper flower shaded me from the brilliant sun as I strode across the vast parking lot at the subway station on the outskirts of our nation’s capitol. A breeze played with the sweeping hemline of the tea-length rayon as seagulls squawked their approval overhead.

It was a gorgeous day by all accounts, and I was very pleased to be out in it, exuding such a ladylike ethos. Sweet.
Cheers,
Lynell

No comments:

Post a Comment