Thursday, April 18, 2013

Basic Black With A Little Shimmer

The weather just can’t seem to make up its mind. I had planned to break out some sunny yellow pants and a pretty blouse to celebrate the emergence of spring blossoms. But today the Baltimore region of the Mid-Atlantic was a perfect example of how challenging it is to dress for an outdoor commute as well as an indoor office environment. Forecasters envisaged showers all morning, with temperatures barely reaching the low 50s, to be followed by an afternoon of sunshine that would warm the day to the mid-70s. How on earth was I to clothe myself for conditions like that?

I decided to go with basic black, so disheartened was I over the lack of sunshine as I dressed. I pulled on comfortable boot-cut Perfectly Slimming Levi’s jeans and plucked from my closet a vintage black top with muted gold medallions scattered across the cotton fabric by Fashion Force which my mother bought for me at WalMart when I was a teen in the early 1970s. I jazzed up my subdued ensemble with a shimmery denim vest adorned with beads, lace and embroidery by Flashback Couture, a fabulous gift last year from my best friend’s mother, Joyce, in Spokane, Washington.

Sandals didn’t seem appropriate with the deluge outside, so I chose sturdy black booties by Pink & Pepper instead. I accessorized with a necklace, bracelet and earrings of beautiful Thai agate encased in heavy silver, Christmas gifts to me from my friends, Robby and Ging, grabbed my umbrella and headed out into a driving rain.

Sure enough, by the time I left work and started my long commute home from Washington D.C., the clouds had given way to sun and warmth engulfed the land. Gold and black is a favorite color combination of mine, so I was pleased to note that the subtle sheen of my stylish vest reflected welcome rays from the sky above, elevating my outfit, like the day, from dreary to dazzling.
Cheers,
Lynell

No comments:

Post a Comment