Thursday, August 23, 2012

Blue Snake Shoes


I was so excited! I found a pair of City Streets high-heeled sandals in blue snake-skin patterned faux-leather on sale for $14 at JCPenney last weekend and was dying to wear them with something blue from my closet today. But what? I settled on a gorgeous sundress in deep blues and teal by All That Jazz, a Chorus Line Company which I bought twelve years ago to wear to a retirement party with a Hawaiian theme in northern Kentucky.

My new heels set off the sundress beautifully. I chose a malachite necklace and bracelet to go with the sundress, gifts from my father to my mother many years ago, along with a pair of malachite earrings brought home to me from Australia one year by my good friend and former colleague Linda Lowry. Adding only a sapphire-hued crystal fashion ring, an abalone bracelet-watch and a Dea Dread hair accessory by Thea Osato of Baltimore (http://DeaDreads.etsy.com), I declared my outfit complete and set out on my commute to the Library of Congress in Washington D.C. for a day of research.

It was a gorgeous day, with mild temps and low humidity – perfect for a summer sundress. I got quite a few complements on my attire, too. Wearing a pretty dress in such rich jewel tones on a perfect summer day made me think of a quote from the September issue of Real Simple magazine: "A dress has no life of its own unless it is worn, and as soon as this happens another personality takes over ... and animates it, ...glorifies it, ...[and]... makes it into a song of beauty."  Elsa Schiaparelli, author of Shocking Life.  Indeed.
Cheers,
Lynell
 

No comments:

Post a Comment