Sunday, December 4, 2011

Blog Post No. 27, 12/2/11 -- Fringe Element



This early December Friday night was very chilly. But I was hot to burn some calories on the dance floor at Gutierrez Studios "First Friday" monthly open house (http://gutierrezstudios.com/) where guests enjoyed Hungarian goulash and a variety of chilis provided by Woodberry Kitchen restaurant next door. The crowd moved enthusiastically to the beat of Rufus Roundtree and da B'more Brass Factory, a band deeply rooted in the world renown Parliament-Funkadelic (P-Funk) scene, so much so that they had their own troupe of groupies at the event.

Indeed, it didn’t matter how much of Woodberry Kitchen’s excellent chili I consumed because I burned it all off working my best moves on the dance floor while sporting a gorgeous hand-crocheted black top with gold beads and long fringe swinging in back and front that I found in a tiny clothing boutique in the Fells Point region of Baltimore during a visit from my Dallas coworkers Marshall, Judy and Judy’s husband, Reagan, back in 2003. I paired the crocheted top over a vintage black leather miniskirt from Wilson’s House of Suede and Leather in northern California that I bought back in the early 1970s, and black platform pumps by Call It Spring for JCPenney.com that I purchased a few months ago.

To complement the little gold beads all over the crocheted top, I chose a necklace of gold and silver-beads that was a gift long ago in California, and a pair of gold-beaded earrings that I’ve had for at least that long, along with a gold-beaded ring that I picked up in Las Vegas in May of this year and a gold and silver metal stretch bracelet-watch from CountryDoor.com. I finished my look with a black and gold-fabric Dea Dread hair accessory that was custom made for me by Thea Osato (http://DeaDreads.etsy.com).

As I was preparing to leave the event, thoroughly warmed from dancing to the funky music despite the frigid temperatures outside, the bongo drummer from the band approached me and remarked that "it was a pleasure to watch you on the dance floor because you seemed to really feel the beat of the music". Wow. Those Zumba classes have been paying off after all. I was giddy all the way home!
Cheers,
Lynell

No comments:

Post a Comment