Saturday, November 12, 2011

Blog Post No. 9, 11/5/11 -- Sequin Season



Finally! A characteristic nip in the air heralds the long-anticipated season of ramped up social engagements. I have been waiting all year for a chance to rock the black sequined tank top I bought at The Limited on New Year’s weekend while shopping with my best friend Kari and her mom at Galleria Mall in Dallas, Texas. Indeed, there was nothing "vintage" about my look on this chilly Friday night in early November, when I paired black beaded leggings by B. Allen for JCPenney with that sparkly tank and JCPenney Call It Spring platform pumps for a night on the town, beginning with a stop at Gutierrez Metal Studios in Baltimore for their monthly "First Friday" open house which celebrates artists in various media in memory of my beloved and inspirational artist and friend, John Gutierrez.

After enjoying appetizers and a glass of wine while listening to Caleb Stine sing folk songs on his amplified acoustic guitar, it was off to a dinner of venison risotto and salad at Joe Squared Pizza in Baltimore’s arts district where a modern fusion band was playing some really weird music, and finally to the Baltimore Afro Beat Society’s annual concert in commemoration of the late Nigerian, Fela Anikulapo Kuti, which kicked off at 11:00 p.m. with 23 instrumentalists, singers and dancers crammed onto a stage on the fifth floor (yes, I climbed all five flights of stairs in those platform pumps!) of Baltimore’s ancient H&H building.

To tone down the formality of all those black sequins and beads, I wore playful "golden sun" earrings I found at last month’s Renaissance Festival in Laurel, Maryland, with a vintage sun charm dangling from a golden rhinestone armband and a matching sun ear cuff and necklace that I picked up at a Northern California Renaissance Faire decades ago. My goldtone bracelet watch with rhinestones is from Chico’s and the sparkly cocktail rings are from BCBG in Dallas. The black and gold hair accessory is a Dea Dread custom made for me last week by Thea Osato of Baltimore (deadreads.etsy.com).
Cheers!
Lynell

No comments:

Post a Comment