Monday, September 9, 2013

Thank Gutierrez It's Friday!

I have blogged before about Gutierrez Studios, a custom wood- and metal-working shop in the Clipper Mill section of Baltimore, Maryland, where skilled artisans, inspired by the artistic vision of the company’s founder and my good friend, John Gutierrez, manipulate wood, iron, steel and other building materials into imaginative forms of beauty and function.

The Gutierrez Memorial
Firepit
John lost his courageous battle with cancer three years ago, and shortly afterward his lovely girlfriend and business partner, Roya Golpira, initiated a seasonal open house at Gutierrez Studios to honor John’s memory and display some of the showroom’s latest designs. A memorial fund drive, conceived in 2010 for the purpose of building a sculptural fire pit in front of Gutierrez Studios to further honor John’s artistic vision, was propelled to fruition with generous donations. Once the towering fireplace (set in position by a crane) was installed, an annual John Gutierrez Memorial Walk was established to raise funds to support up and coming artists in Baltimore.

The open house of autumn 2013 was held this past Friday, a three-hour gathering featuring catered food and live music which is intended to bring artists and art patrons together in a festive environment. I was excited to see a number of acquaintances after the summer break.   Because I am still hiding my bandaged leg from public view (see Stitches), I chose my favorite long pants: a pair of auburn-hued BrazilRoxx jeans which I purchased in Park City, Utah, during an annual ski holiday with my best friend and her parents (see Ski Trip) earlier this year.

I paired the ombré denim with a sheer, sleeveless, high-low blouse in a nude-color from Forever 21.  The brass studs across the front placket played up the studded detail in the jeans perfectly and complemented the biscuit embroidery along the boot-cut legs.  I donned sparkly copper jewelry from Chico’s, beaded, wood-heeled sandals by BCBGeneration, and grabbed a darling faux-fur vest by Belle Fare to ward off the evening chill, the latter a Christmas gift from my dearest Baltimore friends, Jan and Robert.
  
Teens like these from Baltimore's School of Rock
took turns playing classic 1970s hits
The evening was fun.  Roya chose rollicking future guitar sensations from the Baltimore School of Rock to entertain the good sized crowd.  I poured myself a glass of wine and mingled with friends I hadn’t seen in several months while listening to teenaged students belt out decent renditions of rock and roll classics like Life in the Fast Lane by the Eagles, and Money by Pink Floyd.


Roya and I get ready
to start last year's
Gutierrez Memorial Walk
I also registered for this year's John Gutierrez Memorial Walk to be held Saturday, October 19, at Druid Hill Park in Baltimore.  You can register too, or make a donation for this good cause, by going to Gutierrez Memorial Walk.  Join me and hundreds of others in giving young, aspiring artists a "leg up" by helping fund a student's portfolio or apprenticeship. That's what John Gutierrez would want you to do.
Cheers,
Lynell

No comments:

Post a Comment