Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Summer Blues

Today was supposed to be the last day of a protracted summer swelter which seemed to melt everything in its wake, including me, although I must admit, even today was an improvement over the airless, steamy days of the past two weeks.  A weekend cold front was supposed to usher in some cool, drier air.  It didn’t.  But today there was a noticeable, if barely perceptible, change in the degree of humidity; the extent of the stickiness.  The sky seemed bluer; the breeze a tiny bit more refreshing than in recent days.

Stoked by tomorrow’s forecast for brilliant, dry and significantly cooler weather, I started celebrating with my selection of today’s ensemble: dark-washed jeggings by HUE, adorned with a string of smart brass buttons at each ankle, topped by  a cute summer smock of blue and white flowers by Simply Vera Wang, both like-new cast-offs sent to me last summer by my best friend’s mother, Joyce, in Spokane.  

I dressed up my casual look with classic costume jewelry – indigo-enameled leaf-shaped disks on silvered metal forming a necklace and earrings that once belonged to my maternal grandmother, and finished with woven white gladiator sandals by Olsenboye that I picked up at Macy’s a few years back.  

Blue apparel seemed an appropriate choice for a day on which the future king of England was born; a day on which fountains all across London spouted water dyed baby blue in honor of the tiny prince’s celebrated arrival.  I rejoiced, too, wearing the color of the moment in commemoration of some wonderful summer weather ahead.
Cheers,
Lynell

No comments:

Post a Comment