Monday, June 17, 2013

Green Day Shorts

I can remember when my niece, Diana, born in 1986, was old enough to want to listen to rock and roll. She liked the band, Green Day, whose own start came just a year after Diana’s birth, in 1987. They basically grew up together. I wasn’t into punk rock and could find nothing particularly captivating about Green Day’s music, although I did like the band’s name. Just the same, the band and my beautiful niece grew and thrived and became what they are today: successful at making their way in the world.

Being somewhat older than the band and my niece, my listening preferences tend more toward acoustic guitar, the blues, and classical music. With or without my affection, however, Green Day became one of the best-selling groups of all time, having sold over 75 million albums worldwide, garnering five Grammy awards and a Tony nomination for a stage adaptation of their 2010 rock opera, American Idiot. At the same time, my niece grew into a beautiful young woman who is currently enrolled in medical school. I couldn’t be more proud of her.

And none of that has anything to do with anything, except that I decided to wear green on Thursday, which made me think of the band, which made me think of my niece’s affection for their music years ago. The forest-green "skirt-like" shorts I chose to wear to work are more than a decade older than my niece and the Green Day band. These tailored shorts, by Honors, hail from the 1970s. I bought them while I was working my way through college selling big-ticket electronics (video and audio equipment) at my local JCPenney store in northern California. Their summery linen fabric wrinkles as soon as I sit down, yet they are so comfortable – and so flattering -- that I just keep on wearing them. I’ve replaced the zipper at least once, and the buttons on several occasions. Still, like the band, my shorts continue to receive rave reviews.

I bought this serpentine stone in Switzerland and paired it
with black beads and a gold chain I had at home to make a
simple ensemble

Thursday I paired the culottes with a camouflage-inspired Tee by Style & Co. for Macy’s. I added a homemade necklace of polished green Serpentine stone that I bought in Zermatt, Switzerland in 2006, which I put together with earrings made of simple black beads and a bracelet of Connemara marble I bought in southern Ireland last summer. Finishing my look with gladiator sandals by Limited Collection that I also bought in Ireland and a skinny belt with embellished brass studs from Kohl’s, I ventured out into a warm, verdant spring day… a very "green day".
Cheers,
Lynell

"Attack your instruments. Don’t let them attack you" ~ Bille Joe Armstrong of Green Day

No comments:

Post a Comment