Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Little Bit Beatnik

The weatherman said that today would be hot and uncomfortably humid in the mid-Atlantic region of the United States, with temperatures in the 80s and overcast skies giving way to thunderstorms later in the afternoon. I dressed accordingly for the steamy conditions, choosing simple black cotton leggings by Cherokee from Target and a vintage sleeveless top in an abstract print by Alfani which was in a box of gently used clothing sent to me last year by my best friend’s mother, Joyce, in Spokane, Washington.

I played up the graphics on the swingy tunic's fabric by adding a bracelet and earrings in black crystal beads and white pearls from Fire & Ice Jewelers of Baltimore (www.fireandice.com) that were a gift to me for my birthday last September from my good friends, Jan and Robert, but I didn’t add the matching necklace since the rounded collar, with its decorative triple ruffle, seemed to need no further accentuation. With an additional bracelet of white shells I bought on the island of Nassau in 2011, a fashion ring of black crystals I picked up at Claire’s, and some low-heeled gladiator sandals by Olsenboye from Macy’s, I declared myself dressed and headed out the door to work.

Surprisingly (or not), today’s weather conditions were not as dire as the weatherman had predicted. Although there was 78 percent humidity all day, the sun eventually burned the steam away and a nice breeze kept the temperature from feeling like the 84 degrees Fahrenheit indicated on my car’s thermometer. I felt cool and breezy in my leggings and cross-hatched "artist’s smock". Today's ensemble took me back to San Francisco in the 1970s, when I conjured such laid-back fashion vibes on a regular basis.
Cheers,
Lynell

No comments:

Post a Comment