Thursday, April 25, 2013

A Versatile Traveler

A few weeks ago I ordered a simple shift from Boston Proper’s "Traveler" line of wrinkle-free, luggage-worthy apparel. I’ve been eager to wear it, anticipating its application as my "go-to" outfit on warm evenings. But so far this spring, the weather hasn’t been balmy enough for me to try the number out.

At the same time I’ve also been dying to wear a silky vintage leopard-print blouse from Bloomingdale’s that was a hand-me-down last year from my best friend’s mother, Joyce, in Spokane, Washington. I’d actually been wanting to style the tailored shirt, featuring a hidden button placket and stylish black faux-leather collar, with a sleek genuine leather pencil skirt Joyce sent me at the same time. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to get the unforgiving leather over my hips, so it, and the blouse, have remained unworn in my closet.

Today, though the temperature barely reached the 60s, I could bear to wait no longer, so I decided to try the new Boston Proper dress as a jumper over the leopard-print blouse. I added a heavy onyx and gold chain-link necklace and earrings that I’ve owned since the 1970s, an amber crystal fashion ring that I picked up at JCPenney, and a gold-metal bracelet watch festooned with rhinestones from Chico’s. The weather was cool enough for black stockings and my favorite high-heeled pumps by Call It Spring without being too dressy for my lengthy commute by car and subway from Baltimore County to Washington D.C.

Several times during the day I realized how very comfortable I felt. The traveler dress performed very well as a jumper and stayed wrinkle-free all day. And at the supermarket after work, a helpful clerk commented how "impeccably dressed" I was!  You’ll no doubt be seeing me quite often in this "little black dress" come summer!
Cheers,
Lynell

No comments:

Post a Comment