Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Southwestern Sass

Selecting an outfit for a chilly February day in the mid-Atlantic means choosing layers for warmth as much as for fashion. Today’s attire required just such circumspection, as the high temperature would only reach 36 degrees Fahrenheit in Washington D.C.

I chose buck-colored gauchos from Rod’s Western Wear (www.rods.com) in velvety moleskin, and paired them with a sparkly bronze turtleneck I’ve owned for years, layered over a brown long-sleeved Faded Glory T-shirt for extra insulation against the chill. I wrapped a belt of sable-hued leather conchos from Target around my hips and pulled on some super-comfortable western-style Willie boots from Designer Shoe Warehouse (DSW). For jewelry I selected a pair of faceted auburn crystal earrings from Fire & Ice Jewelers of Baltimore (www.fireandice.com) and finished my look with a faux-fur vest by Belle Fare, which was a recent Christmas gift to me from my dear friends, Robert and Jan.

I felt energized as I strode across the vast parking lot at the subway station outside the District of Columbia, my subtle glitter attracting curious crows overhead. The day’s gloomy gray skies and threatening snowflakes could not suppress my effervescent attitude. When I believe I am looking good, that radiance projects out into the world and ultimately shines back on me. The right outfit adds just enough sass to one’s persona to brighten any spirit. Or day.
Mission accomplished.
Cheers,
Lynell

No comments:

Post a Comment