Thursday, January 10, 2013

Southwest Style -- With An Asian Twist

The necklace and earrings didn’t really come from New Mexico. Indeed, the hammered silver disks attached to their hammered silver framework more closely resembled a Chinese gong attached to its hanger than Native American handiwork. But this beautiful set, a gift from the nephew of my annual Christmas dinner guests, Robby and Ging, who was visiting his aunt Ging from his native Thailand over the holiday, seemed well-suited to the Southwest American ensemble I put together for a day of research at the Library of Congress in Washington D.C. Today, the small hammered plates would be Indian conches, not Asian gongs.

I started with dark-washed, boot-cut Levi’s Perfectly Slimming jeans, which I purchased on sale at Macy’s last summer (for only $12!), and added a vintage cotton top by Fashion Force that my mother bought me when I was a teenager in Northern California. To ward of the January chill during my 90-minute commute each way by car, subway and on foot, I added a cropped, Southwest-style blanket jacket by Circle-T, a gift long ago from a cherished friend, Linda, in Reno, Nevada, who passed away in 2005. With a silver-metal watch I found at a tiny boutique in the Dallas-Fort Worth airport, a fashion ring of fuschia-colored glass that was a birthday gift from my best friend’s mother, Joyce, in Washington state, and a silver Pandora bracelet full of charms depicting my love of gardening and horses from my girlfriend, Trina, and her mother, Mary, I headed out into a crisp but pleasantly sunshiny day.

Compliments came! A cashier at the supermarket on my way home from work commented on the shimmering circles, and the receptionist at my veterinary clinic, where I stopped to pick up supplies for a medical procedure my little rescue kitty, Ember, will undergo tomorrow, said she liked my entire outfit. Seems that hammered silver from Thailand plays well with the American west.
Cheers,
Lynell

No comments:

Post a Comment