Thursday, October 18, 2012

Dress Blues

Today was all about hand-me-downs! My entire outfit, except for my shoes, was given to me, bit by bit, by others, and I couldn’t be happier with the stunning ensemble I was able to create from the separate pieces. The classically tailored rayon shorts, the creamy blouse in a tone-on-tone paisley pattern, and the lacy blue vest, all by Liz Claiborne, were in a box of gently worn clothing sent to me recently by my best friend, Kari’s, mother, Joyce, who lives in Spokane.

My diamond and sapphire earrings were a birthday gift from Kari, herself, last year (sapphire is my birthstone). The blue and silver fashion ring was also a gift from Joyce, and my beloved indigo-glass and rhinestone necklace is an heirloom that belonged to my grandmother. Only my ecru spectator pumps with stacked wood heels, which I purchased at ALDO last year, were a wardrobe accessory of my own choosing.  Despite the divergent sources from which today’s ensemble sprung, the result looks as pulled together as if I had snatched it wholesale off a mannequin.

I’m afraid there won’t be too many more days this year when the weather will be summery enough for the wearing of cropped trousers, so I was excited to hear that the temperature would reach 70 degrees Fahrenheit in Washington D.C. today and quickly decided to scoff at convention and sport my "new" slackettes in mid-October. I was glad I did.
Cheers,
Lynell

No comments:

Post a Comment