Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Urban Jungle Gypsy


The weather took a decidedly pleasant turn this week, blessing the mid-Atlantic region of the east coast with wonderfully mild temperatures (mid-70s), no humidity and a cool breeze blowing down from Canada.   Ahhhh…a welcome reprieve from the dog days of summer which surely lie ahead.

To celebrate the temperate clime, I donned a favorite outfit of mine from long ago – a sheer wrap-style dress by Danny & Nicole in a fabulous abstract of gold and olive tones with rust and turquoise accents which evoke palm fronds, leopard spots and dappled shadows without actually depicting any of those things. I bought the dress when I worked for JCPenney back in the 1970s and have loved it for a lifetime.

I tied an olive scarf from Target Gypsy-style across my forehead and let it hang down long in back, its delicate turquoise and orange tassels complementing the unusual hues in the dress. I added a cognac-leather belt and strappy olive and cognac high-heeled sandals by Guess, and finished my look with a necklace, bracelet and earrings of exquisite brown, sage and cream pearls from Fire and Ice Jewelers (http://www.fireandice.com/).

There was a definite spring in my step as I strode across the massive parking lot at the subway station, my dress fluttering in the cool breeze as I made my way to the Library of Congress in Washington D.C. for a day of research. And I was still giddy about the delightful weather as I took my seat last evening at a meeting of the board of directors of Soldiers Delight Conservation, Inc., a tiny non-profit on which I serve as vice president. But what really made my day was when our board secretary, Jason, walked into the meeting room and gasped: "I must say that your outfit is ravishing". Makes my daily dose of urban jungle that much easier to take.
Cheers,
Lynell

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete