Sunday, April 29, 2012

Family Fun Day

Today was fun! In my role as a volunteer ranger for the Maryland Park Service, I was honored to lead a program at our annual "Family Fun Day", an occasion in April where families can participate in a variety of wholesome, interesting activities and see how much fun they can have volunteering in one of the many programs offered at the local park with which I am affiliated.

From 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. today, I held forth at a picnic table in the early spring sunshine at the Avalon area of Patapsco Valley State Park in Baltimore County. As I have done many times before, I eagerly showed children and adults how to create "edible birdhouses" from peanut butter and birdseed.
As children patiently painted balsawood birdhouses with peanut butter and then sprinkled different kinds of birdseed on the walls and roofs to create a smorgasboard of tastes to take home for their avian visitors, I refilled bowls of sunflower, safflower, peanut and millet seeds, wiped excess peanut butter from plastic knives and encouraged my young charges in the art of edible birdhouse decorating.
The day was wildly popular, and I ran through my inventory of tiny birdhouses in record time. Over 300 ice cream sundaes were given away and much fun was had by all. But it was the smiles on the faces of so many happy children that reminded me why I love being a volunteer park ranger so very much.
Cheers,
Lynell

No comments:

Post a Comment