Monday, February 13, 2012

Lady In Red


So… let’s have a contest of sorts. Which red dress should I wear out to dinner in honor of Valentine’s Day?
This voluptuous red lace number with a daring bare back and a fishtail hem is a Climax by Karen Okada for David Howard Fashions. The last time I wore this beauty was to a Valentine dance in San Francisco with my friend Pete in 1986. The song Lady In Red by Chris de Burgh had just come out and was getting lots of play on the airwaves. When the DJ at the San Francisco nightclub spun that slow single in the middle of his set, Pete took my hand and led me out onto the dance floor. It was as if time stood still. No one else joined us in the dance.  It was just Pete and the song and me in this amazing red dress out there in the spotlight. I will never forget that experience as long as I live. After a few minutes had passed, other couples began to mingle on the parquet. But for those first magical moments, it was as if there was no one else on the planet except Pete and me and that song… clearly one of the most romantic experiences of my lifetime. I was 30 years old then, and now, 25 years later, the memory of that Valentine dance lingers as clearly as if it happened yesterday.
The other red dress is a Nina Piccalino which I bought in Dallas, Texas in the 1990s. I have no romantic memories associated with this dress but it is just as beautiful – if a bit more conservative. With a fitted front placket adorned with fabric covered buttons, this beauty is more sophisticated -- and more befitting my current 55-year-old stage in life.

Both are vintage. Both are comfortable. Both are deserving of your votes! So let me know your preference and I will post the results in a day or two.
Cheers,
Lynell

1 comment:

  1. the sexy red dress with the san francisco story wins hands down. It's glitzy and glam w/o any bling and is immersed in good karma b/c of its happy history. Plus you look sensational in it!
    I hope it's the winner for V Day. x0x, Judy

    ReplyDelete