Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Blog Post No. 29, 12/04/11 -- In The Spirit



With my annual Holiday Open House, Bake Sale and Craft Program at Soldiers Delight Natural Environment Area out of the way for another year, I was in the mood for some Christmas music on this early December Sunday, so I gathered up some friends and we made our way to the state capitol of Annapolis, where Maryland Wildlife & Heritage Program biologist and fellow friend, Paula, was singing in an Advent celebration at her church, St. Margaret’s Episcopalian. With time to spare before the concert, we took in a tour of the Harmon-Hammond house near Capitol square, an original colonial home built in the 1700s with each room decorated for the holidays by local garden clubs in a Victorian theme.

The tour, led by a well-informed docent, was grand, but the beautiful choir music at St. Margaret’s church afterward was even grander. Paula’s gorgeous soprano voice soared during her solo and I really enjoyed the congregation’s opportunity to sing along on some of the hymns. All that singing whetted our appetites, so we joined Paula after the concert at one of her favorite Annapolis barbecue joints, Red, Hot & Blue, where I tucked into a pulled pork sandwich with gusto.

For this holiday-themed day, I chose a black knit tunic with embroidered, sequined poinsettias by Victoria Jones for Macy’s that I bought nearly ten years ago, paired with black INC leggings from Macy’s that were a gift this summer from Joyce, the mother of my best friend, Kari. Since the day was chilly and gray, I donned vintage high black leather Pleaser boots from JCPenney and finished the look with faux-gemstone holiday earrings that I bought decades ago in California, a golden "jingle-bell" ring that I picked up in Las Vegas in May, a gold-tone bracelet watch with rhinestones that I bought at Chico’s last year, and a black and gold Dea Dread hair accessory custom made for me by Thea Asoto of Baltimore (http://DeaDreads.etsy.com).

The day definitely put me in a holiday frame of mind!
Cheers,
Lynell

No comments:

Post a Comment