Sunday, November 13, 2011

Blog Post No. 16 -- Off The Cuff


As a longtime fan of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and maestra Marin Alsop, I try to get to the symphony as often as I can afford (which is not as often as I’d like). The BSO’s "Off The Cuff" series of concerts are abbreviated, more low key versions of a full evening’s worth of music. These events begin at 7:00 p.m. and are finished by 8:15, so it’s easy to go to dinner afterward and not starve before the concert’s typical end time of almost 10:00 p.m.

Last night the BSO featured Aaron Copland’s Appalachian Spring and some other Copland works, one of which included audience participation (my section of the audience had to quack like a duck). These "Off The Cuff" evenings are far less formal than a typical night at the symphony, so I felt comfortable wearing a short red dress to the event instead of something more fancy.

After the concert I enjoyed a nice meal at Mari Luna, a south American restaurant virtually across the street from the concert hall, where the exalted maestra also chose to have her post-concert meal, only a couple of tables from where I was seated. It was a great evening.

My little red dress is a David Benjamin from the 1970s, which gives away it’s vintage lineage with humongous shoulder pads. Good thing I love shoulder pads! I paired that with nude platform pumps by Call it Spring for JCPenney and a darling little gold purse which was a gift from my best friend Kari’s mother, Joyce. My garnet and citrine pendant necklace, matching tennis bracelet and earrings are all from Fire & Ice Jewelers of Baltimore (www.fireandice.com) and my garnet and pearl ring belonged to my mother. The large black and gold enameled seashell ring was a wonderful find at this fall’s Renaissance Festival in Laurel, Maryland, and my hair accessory is a Dea Dread which was custom made for me by Thea Osato of Baltimore (deadreads.etsy.com).
Cheers!
Lynell

No comments:

Post a Comment