Saturday, November 12, 2011

Blog Post No. 11, 11/8/11 -- Indian Summer 01



The expression 'Indian summer' has been used for more than two centuries to describe a meteorological phenomenon that occurs in mid-November and refers to a period of unusually warm temperatures, typically after there has been a hard frost. Is it Mother Nature’s way of teasing us into believing winter’s sustained discomfort is not just around the corner?

No matter. Today’s gorgeous weather inspired me to don a broomstick skirt by Longhorn for Niver Western Wear of Fort Worth that I picked up at a North Texas rodeo and festival in the early 1990s. To highlight the yellow-gold accents in the beautiful dusty rose fabric featuring dramatic interpretations of Native American jewelry and arrowheads, I chose a yellow menswear shirt by the venerable western-wear maker Stubbs and a blue denim vest that I found at a church bazaar about three years ago for $5. To complement the turquoise jewelry depicted in the skirt’s fabric, I wore a heavy silver and turquoise lotus blossom necklace and bracelet that my mother found at a trading post in California in the 1950s, and paired that with turquoise and metal earrings I found at Grapevine Mills mall in Texas about 15 years ago, and a turquoise ring from Claire's. My black boots are from DSW and my stretchy silver- and gold-metal watch is from CountryDoor.com.

Indian Summer never looked so good! As I walked to my car in the parking lot of the subway station on my way home from the Library of Congress today, a woman in a vehicle rolled down her window as she passed me, shouting "gorgeous outfit!". Certainly made my day!
Cheers.
Lynell

No comments:

Post a Comment